The Commission on Ministry fulfills the functions specified in Title III Canon 2 Sec. 2 of the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church. Specifically, the commission assists and advises the Bishop in the selection and guidance of those entering the ministry; in continuing education; and other matters relating to the ministry of the laity, ordination, and deployment. Six members are elected by the Convention, and “No one so elected shall be eligible for re-election after having served two consecutive terms until after the expiration of one year.” The Bishop shall annually appoint six members for a term of one year.
The Commission on Ministry meets quarterly on Saturdays from 10 am-2 pm, usually in January, April, June and October. Additional meetings are scheduled when necessary, and some may be held by conference call. In May, members hold a one-day retreat. Members are expected to attend all meetings and participate at least once in a two-day retreat, held each fall, for people who are discerning calls to lay or ordained ministry. Each Commission on Ministry member also participates on one of several task forces that focus on specific projects or issues, including revising the ordination process, scheduling and overseeing formation and education retreats, and addressing other commission functions.
New members are required to attend an orientation meeting at or immediately following diocesan convention. In addition, members receive training in discernment, spiritual formation, and information relating to lay and ordained ministry.
Class of 2018
- The Rev. Jane Williams, St. Andrew’s, Allentown (1)
- Peg Gerns, Trinity, Easton (1)
Class of 2019
- The Rev. Canon Laura Howell, Trinity, Bethlehem (1)
- Nancy Rinehart, retired (1)
Class of 2020
- The Rev. Christine Sutton, Prince of Peace, Dallas (1)
- Robert Schreiber, Christ, Forest City and St. James’, Dundaff (2)
Appointed by the Bishop
- The Rev. Rebecca Barnes, St. Luke’s, Scranton
- The Rev. Elizabeth Haynes, St. James’, Drifton
- The Rev. Susan Treanor, Trinity, Mt. Pocono
- Laura Drum, Nativity Cathedral, Bethlehem
- Jay Freeman, Christ Church, Stroudsburg
- Maggie Niles, Grace, Honesdale
- The Rev. Canon Anne Kitch, Canon to the Ordinary
- The Ven. Richard I. Cluett, Archdeacon