The 148th Convention of the Diocese of Bethlehem
The convention will be held October 4-5 at:
1741 Papermill Road
Reading, PA 19610
Rooms can be booked at the Crown Plaza at a discounted rate through this link or by calling 610-376-3811 and reserving a room in the Diocese of Bethlehem’s block.
Convention Eucharist will take place at:
Lay Delegates to Diocesan Convention
Based on Title I Canon 1 Section 2 of the Canons of the Diocese of Bethlehem
Each Parish and each Mission shall elect one or more Lay Delegates based on the number of lay members as reported in the annual Parochial Report for the year ending December 31 preceding to to represent said Parish and Mission in Convention; and may also elect Alternates, equal in number to the Delegates to which the Parish or Mission is entitled, to take the place of the regular Delegates in case of absence:
Number of Lay Members Reported in Parochial Report
- Less than 100 1 (one) Lay Delegate
- 100 – 299 2 (two) Lay Delegates
- 300 – 499 3 (three) Lay Delegates
- 500 – 699 4 (four) Lay Delegates
Parishes or Missions reporting 700 or more lay members in the Parochial Report shall have an additional delegate for each additional 199 lay members reported above 700.
Each diocese is tasked with reading and considering resolutions which have been proposed by General Convention. The following document contains nine resolutions that propose changes to the Constitution, as well as well as several others which request action or consideration, or which offer information. Please read the resolutions and be prepared to offer feedback by the 148th Diocesan Convention in 2019.
Elections for the following positions will take place at Convention:
The Commission on Ministry
- Two to be elected.
- One (1) clergy person and one (1) lay person for a three-year term.
The Diocesan Council
- Four to be elected.
- Two (2) clergy persons and two (2) lay person for a three year term.
The Standing Committee
- Two to be elected.
- One (1) clergy person and one (1) lay person to be elected for a four-year term.
General Convention Deputation
- Eight to be elected.
- Four (4) clergy persons and four (4) lay persons to be elected for a three-year term.
- Four (4) clergy persons and four (4) lay persons to be elected as alternates
2018 Convention Journal (PDF)
2017 Convention Journal (PDF)
2016 Convention Journal (PDF) and 2016 Journal Addendum Canonical and Constitutional Resolutions (PDF)
2015 Convention Journal (PDF)
2014 Convention Journal (PDF)